Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

10.28.2010

We Love New York City

My husband is known for his ability to surprise and impress.  During our first year of marriage, he managed to orchestrate a birthday trip to Las Vegas, and kept it a beautiful secret from me until the day we left.  As if I wasn't ecstatic enough, when we arrived to our hotel later that day, I looked across the lobby and locked eyes with my dear brother and sister-in-law--they'd flown to Vegas from Canada as part of my husband's grand master plan of surrounding me with the people I loved the most on my birthday.  I was beyond impressed!  So for this year--my 30th--I kind of had a "hunch" that there was something up his sleeve, but as usual, I had no idea what.  Imagine my delight when he announced that we'd be spending a whirlwind 4-day weekend exploring the Big Apple!  We had an amazing time together, experiencing a place that neither of us had ever been.  Its impossible to recap all that we did, and although the photos tell a million stories, I wanted to capture the memories in a little project.  It had to be inexpensive "art", since we'd definitely spent our wad in NYC!  Here's what I did:


First, I sifted through my purse and suitcase for any and all remnants that represented places we'd been or things we'd seen that weekend.  I was particularely drawn to the Statue of Liberty/Ellis Island ferry tickets for their graphic nature and turquoise color scheme.


Based on the color scheme of the little "tokens" I collected, I chose this pretty rubbed-silver frame.  It has a mat with a linen wrapping, and I thought the natural textures would be a nice contrast to the graphic nature of the project.



I decided to create 3/4" x 2" tiles and arrange them in a brick-set pattern.  I thought these little "subway tiles" would be another great reference to New York!



I love how the final product turned out, and how its an unconventional way of preserving a few of our memories from that weekend.  Along with the framed "V", its also an inexpensive (under $25) art piece for my ever-changing mantle displays.

1 comment:

Jane said...

This is very interesting...a creative way to capture memories.
Jane (Artfully graced)